Saturday, June 8, 2013

Backbone is out, Marionette is in.

I know you are thinking that didn't take long. I agree that I am guilty of not making up my mind and then sticking with it. But not in this case.

As I said in my previous post, Backbone means a lot of decisions. Good thing is that it is already couple of years old and very successful. Which means it has drawn the attention of many very capable developers who not only saw the same issues but also decided to do something about them.

Now some of them went ahead and wrote their own libraries and frameworks like Spine.js, Angularjs and many many more. Each comes with their own pros and cons and many of them are more advanced. But there were others who decided to build on the foundation of Backbone itself. Marionette falls into that category.

The primary motivation behind Marionette, apart from improving the spelling skills of developer, is to reduce the boilerplate code in Backbone app. Though the name marionette seems to recover most of the reduced code.

But anyway, I have started to convert my 1 day old Backbone based dashboard to Marionette. So far so good. I will be back with more details tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment